The Times When Electrical Home Improvements Are Just Too Dangerous
Today, the average home owner is encouraged to have a do-it-yourself attitude when it comes to home repairs or improvements. Most jobs around the home can be done by anyone who sets their mind to it but some jobs require a professional at all times, like electrical work. Electricity is a very dangerous element that can easily become deadly if you don’t know how to handle it properly. According to an article on the website copper.org, a site dedicated to educating the public on the copper industry; if you are experiencing some of the following electrical problems you should call a licensed electrician.
- Circuit breakers in the home trip often or fuses keep blowing – A home electrical system has build-in safeguards to prevent electrical overload. When a circuit shuts down repeatedly it is a warning sign that you should not ignore.
- Needing extension cords to reach the outlets in any of the rooms – Extension cords create too much demand on too few outlets making them a safety hazard. They also are dangerous because they are often run under rugs and furniture making them a fire and tripping hazard too.
- Rust on the main electrical service panel- All fixtures wear out or suffer the effects of time. When rust appears on the metal service panel it often indicates a moisture problem or that deterioration has reached an advanced stage. Do not wait to address this problem as it can have serious consequences.
- Lights that dim when appliances are turned on- The dimming of lights are a sign that the power being provided to that area of the home is not enough to run everything. High-demand appliances such as air conditioners, clothes dryers, refrigerators and furnaces need extra power when they start up. This temporary current draw can be more than just a nuisance; it can damage sensitive equipment.
- Electrical switches or outlets that feel warm or tingly to the touch- Loose or deteriorating electrical connections, such as the wiring junctions in switches and outlets, impede current flow and create resistance. This may create a dangerous condition that can result in shock or fire. This is not something to ignore, have a professional check the safety of your wiring as soon as possible to prevent serious harm or damage to your home or property.
- Needing accessory plug-strips to power up one room with too few outlets- Too many things plugged in at one location can create more current demand than a single outlet or electrical line can safely handle. Adding multiple plug-in strips won’t solve the problem. What you need are additional outlets, and possibly new wiring runs to service them.
- Outlet doesn’t accept three-prong plugs- The third, or grounding, prong on a typical appliance plug provides an extra measure of safety against electrical shock. Older two-prong receptacle outlets, installed in homes before this innovation, may not be adequately grounded and should be upgraded.
- Never have upgraded your electrical service- If your home is over 25 years old, you could have an inadequate and possibly hazardous electrical system—and not even know it. To be safe, call in an electrician for a thorough inspection, and if necessary bring your home up to today’s electrical code standards.
On the site Linkroll.com, there is an article posted on The Importance of Hiring an Electrician that supports the need to use electricians by stating that: “When you loose your electricity someone has to come and fix it. Electricians know exactly what they are doing and are very good at their work. If you have an electrical problem in your home, unless you really know what you are doing contact an electrician to do the work for you. Many people try and do their own work and this is when accidents can occur.” Electricity is not something to be taken lightly. Get a professional, like the ones at Triangle Electricians, to inspect your electrical system and provide you with a free estimate for the work you need done right.